Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Long-Awaited Second Entry

Oho! So apparently I am worse at blogging than I thought I would be. Let's hope that this changes.

Rather than recount everything I've done and seen in the past two + weeks, I'm just going to make some observations about life here in Salamanca...

1. Old people. They are everywhere! I just love it. On the day I arrived, I took a stroll through the second-closest park to my house (La Alamedilla), which is just a treat - shady, and lined with benches and heladerias (salmantinos scream for ice cream!). On literally every single bench sat an elderly couple, hands clasped and in conversation. Every man over the age of 50 must be issued a uniform: slacks, loafers, and a collared shirt. Sometimes I see them coupled off, other times I see old ladies strolling arm-in-arm with their friends, and I bore witness to a whole horde of older gentlemen at a local petanca competition (a game very similar in structure and fan-base to shuffleboard) at the closest park to my house (el de Pablo Picasso).

2. Fashion. Lo que está de moda. Did you know that rat-tails are fashionable? They certainly are. As are Jasmine pants, Elvira bangs and mullets. I've also seen quite a few boys here sporting a novel combination of two hairstyles that are quite disgusting enough on their own: dreadlocks and mullets. Business in the front, rasta party in the back. not kidding.

3. My command of spanish. It's improving! Awesome. But for some reason I have started to add a touch of Sean Connery to some words. Everytime I go to say "sí" it comes out all throaty and sounding like "shhí." I'm trying my best to put a stop to this, but the part of me that loves it insists that it should stay. murr.

OK. Now is the point where I want to share some choice pictures to demonstrate the places I've been, things I've seen, etc.

I took this picture on I think my first or second day in Salamanca. Right outside of Georgetown's office on the Calle Toro, I happened upon a very short parade of Charros. "Charro" is the name given to people native to the towns of Salamanca (the province). Something incredible about Europe (or at least the towns I've been to thus far), is that parades are seemingly constant. One should never be taken off-guard by the onset of a parade, because their occurence is just as well inevitable.

When I went to Segovia (two Saturdays ago), there was some kind of military band competition taking place. Those in competition, of course, paraded the streets with flair:
From Segovia



From Segovia



From Segovia



From Segovia

Segovia is the home of a Roooman aqueduct, built in the very first century, without any cement to speak of. It's just humongous rocks piled on top of more humongous rocks. I surmise, though, that if a giant (BFG-sized, not Andre-sized, I mean) had a club and ganas de visiting Segovia, he could do some pretty hefty damage to the aqueduct, no cement and all.
Here is the aqueduct:



From Segovia


And now, I am running out of battery, and I did promise myself that I would finish this before going home to plug in again. So... more to come.


Un abrazo fuerte,
Alicia

2 comments:

  1. I laughed multiple times reading this post.
    Rat-tails and mullets are fashionable here, too! I am so glad that won't catch on it the States... or will it??!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTF is it about rat tails? Here people have randomly placed ones. Not always on their neck, sometimes random parts of their heads. it's grody.

    today i have let myself spend megabytes so i can load both of your ladies' pictures!

    ReplyDelete